Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2018 14:42:28 -0500
From:      Andy Firman <firmdog@gmail.com>
To:        Peter Lai <cowbert@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, sem@semmy.ru
Subject:   Re: upgrading from 10.0 to 10.3 problem

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 1:47 PM, Peter Lai <cowbert@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Hello. I tried to upgrade from 10.0-RELEASE: # freebsd-update -r
> 10.3-RELEASE upgrade
> > # freebsd-update install
> > # reboot
> > # freebsd-update install
> > Installing updates...Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> > Segmentation fault (core dumped) Now I have:
> > # freebsd-version -ku
> > 10.3-RELEASE-p4
> > 10.0-RELEASE It's not looking good. How to fix? PS. In /var/log/messages
> I see "(gunzip), uid 0: exited on signal 11"
> > And yes:
> > # gunzip
> > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> Hi Sergey:
>
> I ran into this problem the week before you did:
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2016-July/085115.html
> Because just about all of the binaries were trashed (including /lib,
> /[s]bin, /usr/lib, /usr/[s]bin files were truncated to 0), I had to
> /rescue/nc > base.txz (where I fetched base.txz from the ftp site in
> the 10.3-RELEASE distribution), then /rescue/tar -zxvf base.txz into a
> directory, then tar | tar each of /lib and so on to get my binaries
> back (apparently /rescue does not have a statically compiled cpio).
>
> After sending the above to the mailing list I went ahead and replaced
> the kernel that the broken freebsd-update install installed with the
> one from 10.3-RELEASE (from the distribution base.txz:boot/kernel),
> which made the system entirely binary 10.3-RELEASE then I was able to
> freebsd-update to FreeBSD-10.3-RELEASE-p6 with no problems. Note that
> the initial freebsd-update from 10.0 also severely trashed my /etc, I
> had to restore master.passwd and friends! (many of /etc files were
> also truncated to 0), even though the merge process seemed to complete
> ok before the broken freebsd-update install.

I just experienced the same thing. Sent this to freebsd-questions last
night, no response yet, so thought I would also try here on this thread.
Here is my disaster from last night:

*Following this guide:*

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html

# uname -a

FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p9 #0: Mon Sep 15 14:35:52 UTC
2014     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
amd64

*Run this command:*

# freebsd-update -r 10.4-RELEASE upgrade

# freebsd-update install

reboot

*Success...system came back up as 10.4*

# uname -a
FreeBSD 10.4-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 10.4-RELEASE-p3 #0: Tue Nov 14 09:43:55 UTC
2017     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
amd64

*Run this command one more time per the guide above:*

# freebsd-update install
Installing updates...Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

*System is totally down and had to recover from snaphot*

*What on earth happened here?*