Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2002 12:48:07 +0000
From:      Matt H <freebsd-questions@cuntbubble.com>
To:        "Brent" <brentb@loa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD & games like quake3

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 15:26:48 -0500
"Brent" <brentb@loa.com> wrote:

> Im using FreeBSD 4.3 I have xfree86 version 4.2 and KDE 2.x installed
> w/ nvidia gforce2-mx video card. the machine runs great ...Im just
> wondering if anyone can point  to some "howto"  on getting 3dgames such
> as quake3..unreal ,,etc.. to run in xwindows..& FreeBSD 4.3.
> Ive run 3dgames on a linux box ....but not Unix.. any help is greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Bmyster

hi matey,

freebsd-multimedia is the best group for asking this

the NVidia card is going to mess you up though (AFAIK)

you need to enable DRI in Xfree and nvidia's drivers don't do dri

I've recently bought on a voodoo 5 from ebay for that very reason

When it arrives (end of next week I hope) I'll document everything I did
to get it going and post to questions & multimedia (though other people
have done this in the past) (assuming it works!)

my starting point will be :

http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~eanholt/dri/