Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 1996 11:24:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      anders <ascholl@newton.kamsc.k12.mi.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   installing FreeBSD

A couple days ago I decided to install FreeBSD 2.1.6.  I dl'ed all the
necessary files for a minimum installation off of an existing dos partition,
and tried to install.  The install script worked fine; it appeared
to partition my drive just fine, etc, but for some reason it didn't
want to untar the binaries correctly...I don't have the exact error message
here, but it was essentially "cpio: bad checksum header <filenametoextract>"
...each archive except the info archive aborted with this error message at
some point...most of them managed to get a couple files out, and some of
them got past the first .aa package...I thought this might have been because I
was installing off of a vfat partition (I'm running winNT) so I tried to
install off floppy, but alas, the root.flp file discussed in the
documentation was nowhere to be found, so I couldn't install off of
floppy...I tried making another extended dos partition with msdos and
installing off of that, in case the problem was that it was a vfat
partition, but it couldn't mount the partition....I also tried to connect
via PPP and do an ftp install; for some reason when I made a PPP connection
it would drop carrier immediately...I know that the split files are not
corrupt; I concatenated them and untar.gz'ed them....Does anybody have any
tips? ...I've read the documentation quite thoroughly, and the only thing I
know to do is to try to figure out how to manually install using the shell
from the fixit floppy (which I expect shall be fairly difficult as I
have absolutely no FreeBSD experience...)
Any help is appreciated greatly.
--anders