Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 21:15:51 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        Chris Aitken <chris@ideal.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Executing scripts remotely

Chris Aitken <chris@ideal.net.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions and information about the following
> task ?
>
> I have 2 FreeBSD boxes on a network. I have some funky little
> scripts ive been working on on one box, and I want to be able to
> execute them with some arguments on the other box.
>
> Is there any applications or systems I can implement between the
> boxen to be able to safely and securely do this?

That can be done with SSH and FreeBSD come with OpenSSH already :)

If you set up your machines in such a way that `user' from machine
`src' can login as `user2' of machine `dest', without giving a
password (this requires RSA key setup), you can always do from machine
`src':

	src:user> ssh -l user2 dest '/path/to/some/command arg1 arg2'

and have /path/to/some/command execute on machine `dest' as the user
`user2', with arg1 and arg2 being it's command-line arguments.

-giorgos