Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2001 21:04:57 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed auto-sizing patch to sysinstall (was Re: Using a larger block size on large filesystems)

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 01:33:40AM +0100, Bernd Walter wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 02:11:16PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> >     Hmm.  Well, I have to disagree somewhat.  'A'uto isn't useful if
> >     the user has to think too much about it, and there is nothing
> >     preventing the user from deleting the partitions he doesn't want.
> >     /var/tmp and /home are fairly standard partition names... nothing
> >     new in my book.  I certainly didn't invent them!  In particular,
> >     these two partitions greatly increase the safety of the system... I
> >     can't count the number of times I've seen fsck *fail* on /var/tmp
> >     after a crash and was thankful that /var/tmp wasn't on /var.
>
> I hate if Software writes on /var/tmp instead of /tmp.

Then rewrite
    /usr/include/paths.h:#define    _PATH_VARTMP    "/var/tmp/"
    /usr/include/stdio.h:#define    P_tmpdir        "/var/tmp/"

the software is just obeying what we told it.

> The traditional directory is /var/users but I prefer /var/home.

Not for *ages* (if ever).  Where have you seen this?

> If you don't want a separate /home partition /var/users is the better
> choice.
> /home is the place for system wide home directories which are usualy
> non-local - therefor no need for a local partition.

/home has become *The* standard place for one's home dir.
Be it local or NFS.  Matt is doing the right thing here.
If you have an NFS mounted /home, then you can either not use (A)uto, or
tweak the result of (A)uto before continuing with the installation.