Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 01:04:26 +0100
From:      Adrian Wontroba <aw1@stade.co.uk>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Huge Kernel

On Sun, Jun 13, 1999 at 09:12:41AM -0700, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> I recently received a "File System Full" message for / on a 3.2-STABLE
> box. Upon investigating, I discovered that a recently built kernel was
> almost 8 MB. I am not sure when the kernels got so big because my
> kernel.old from who knows when was also huge.

Are you running config with the "-g" for debugging flag by any
chance? For me, this gives an 8 MB kernel (which I save, and prepare a
stripped version for use).

Sizes after "cp kernel kernel.debug; strip -g kernel" in the compilation
directory.

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1813580 Jun 12 18:42 kernel
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  8895826 Jun 12 18:42 kernel.debug

--
Adrian Wontroba