Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2002 01:51:20 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        John Vender <john@jmv.com.au>, John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell PowerEdge 1650

| >|-John Bleichert----syborg@stny.rr.com----------------|
| >|-------------------http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg--|

| >with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message
|
| There seems to be a view shared by many that Dell make well-built
| computers. That may be the case but I have learned the hard way that anyone
| expecting any help from them getting FreeBSD working correctly on one of
| their systems (or anything other than windows or the linux they ship with)
| is going to be very disappointed. Major hassles getting FreeBSD going
| properly on Dell systems seem to get worked out by the FreeBSD gurus here
| but I would put Dell near the bottom of my list as choice of hardware for a
| FreeBSD server that isn't a nightmare to set up.

Well, I'd say that Dell is some of the more FreeBSD-friendly hardware
available, in general.  Of course I've never used a PowerEdge.  They one of
the few that actually (a) tests their hardware with Linux and in some cases
ships with it, and (b) has some FreeBSD drivers on their site.

What company do you deal with that is significantly *more* FreeBSD-friendly?

[Of course I don't *expect* tech support from *any* vendor to help me with
problems under FreeBSD -- why would you expect that anyway?]

That said, I'd order 1 and see if I had any trouble and then order the other
6.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org