Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2001 00:22:46 +0100
From:      Mark Drayton <mark.drayton@izr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rack updates

rick norman (rick.norman@lmco.com) wrote:
> I am doing developement on a distributed simulation running on a rack
> of pc's running freebsd.  Does anyone have a good approach for doing
> simultaneous or parallel updates to the code under developement on the
> rack.  Basically I don't want to propagate each developement iteration
> individually by hand to each pc.  In general each pc will be running
> the same code.

Use something like rdist (in the base system) or rsync (in the ports).
If you're using cvs you can configure the servers to check the source
out once an hour or whenever you choose. We have our servers set to
check out files that have a 'stable' tag every 15 minutes.

I'll probably change to rdist/rsync somewhen soon; I prefer being able
to push the code to the servers rather than waiting for them to pull it
down at a certain time.

Cheers,

--

Mark Drayton