Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 1995 08:20:46 -0600
From:      dkelly@iquest.com (David Kelly)
To:        "Bror 'Count' Heinola" <count@key.hole.fi>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.0.5-RELEASE has problems with NE2100 (lnc0)

At 12:06 7/2/95, Bror 'Count' Heinola wrote:
>        Is there a (known?) problem with the lnc0 driver? I'm using a
>        NE2100 (the real thing, not a clone) and I get the following message
>        now and then;
>
>Jul  2 11:22:45 key /kernel: lnc0: Transmit underflow error -- Resetting
>
>        I haven't noticed any other strangeness with the thing.
>        I also mailed hackers@freebsd.org about a problem with network card
>        a few days ago - this is the same setup except for the network card.

I run my genuine NE2100 at 0x360 IRQ 9, DRQ 3 and get similar messages
stating that it just missed a packet because it didn't have a buffer for
it. Recently I picked up an NE200 clone for another machine but haven't
tried it.

With 2.0R my console was flooded with these messages from the lnc0 driver.
Ftp rates were 50k to 100k bytes/sec between dropped packets. One of the
snaps practically cured the problem, and now with 2.0.5-ALPHA it only pops
up ever 50k packets or so.

Considering this is the closest thing I have to a "problem" with FreeBSD, I
can certianly live with it.

--
David Kelly N4HHE,   n4hhe@amsat.org,    dkelly@iquest.com