Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2002 02:02:55 -0500
From:      mpd <mpd6334@cs.rit.edu>
To:        Alex <freebsd-reply@akruijff.dds.nl>
Cc:        Happy <kuishin@singnet.com.sg>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What can be done in Command Line Interface?

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 03:02:36AM +0100, Alex wrote:
> Hello Happy,
>
> Saturday, March 23, 2002, 2:54:24 AM, you wrote:
>
> H> Hi,     I am a new user of freebsd 4.0. I have installed the OS but
> H> can  only use the command line interface because of graphics card
> H> incompatibility. But I decided to learn using the command line
> H> interface anyway.     Can the things which can be done in GUI be
> H> done in command line ? e.g, can we email,surf the net,install new
> H> software,browse our hard-disk in command line? Also,what are the
> H> editors and programming software which we can open and use in
> H> command line interface ?     Please reply if you can. Thanks !!  :)
>
> Email - There are lots of e-mail programs that run under command line.
> I didn't have a real experience with these.

mail, mutt, pine, about a million others.

> Suft - You wanna have a look at lynx. This is a text brouwser with
> support for frames.

Lynx does not support frames. w3m does (I believe it renders them like
tables.)

> Editors - There are two editors that come installed with the OS and
> many more you can install from the ports system. The first Ed is an
> easy to understand. The second is vi. More complex but real handy,
> ones you know how to handle it.

There's also ee, which should be fairly intuitive for anyone with
a few brain cells in their head.

> The handbook holds more information. You wanna read at least chapter
> 1-4 http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/index.html
>

> --  Best regards,  Alex
> mailto:freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl

You're going to receive about a million suggestions for the
various types of software you asked about. Find
the one *you* like, as you're going get responses from
people who are religiously tied to things like their editor
and MUA, and therefore have non-objective viewpoints.

mike