Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 03:59:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Robert LaThanh <hybrid@pearlmagik.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crash every 45 days in 4.0-RELEASE (sometimes sooner)

Robert LaThanh writes:
> (I'm not sure if this is the right group to be posting to, can someone
> tell me which group would be more appropriate?)

No, this is the right group.

> My web server used to be running Red Hat Linux 5.2 and had reached an
> uptime of about 150 days. This summer I switched over to FreeBSD
> 4.0-RELEASE and I haven't been able to get an uptime of more than 45
> days. While browsing through kernel code I noticed a comment that read:
> "Increment time in/out of memory and sleep time (if sleeping). We ignore
[...]
> About 6 times a day I get the message "/kernel: dc0: TX underrun --
> resetting". It doesn't seem to be affecting the availability of my
> server at all, it still seems to perform as expected, otherwise. Could
> this have anything to do with the crashing?

Check the dc(4) man page. It's the driver reacting to the host not
getting data to the NIC fast enough. It's almost certainly
ignorable.

> Where should I look for the cause of my crashes? I only know to look
> at /var/log/messages, but the only unusual messages there are the TX
> underrun ones.

The best place to look is in the crash dump your system is taking
after each crash. The "crash" man page discusses how to do that, as
well as providing pointers to how to enable crash dumps if you haven't
done so.

	<mike