Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 1996 21:16:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        doc@freebsd.org, core@freebsd.org
Subject:   Warning: SGML doc changes

For some time, I've been blabbering about changes coming to the
SGML documentation tools.  I've got things together to the point
where I'm about ready to bring them in so here is a brief
summary.

instant: A new tool for manipulating SGML document instances.
	This is the core of the new doc conversion and useful for
	a variety of tasks dealing with SGML documents.  The tool
	originally came from OSF but is only supported in an
	ad-hoc fashion.  It carries a BSD compatible license.
	This version has been customized and enhanced by myself.
	Uncompressed source is about 280k.

sgmlsasp and rast: Instant makes the former useless and rast was
	never (as far as I know used), therefore these will be
	*removed*. Uncompressed source is about 32K

ISO 8879:1986 entity sets: These provide standard names for
	symbols not commonly found on keyboards.
	These are used by many DTDs, including Docbook and now
	linuxdoc.  This adds about 90K

Linuxdoc: This DTD had a numerous ugly hacks put in
	place to make up for shortcomings in the conversion tool
	(sgmlsasp).  A switch to instant allowed me to clean a
        bunch of the cruft out.  I have also switched from the
        homebrew entity sets to the ISO entity sets.  This may
        cause some small, but trivial to fix problems with old
        documents.  The element structure is unchanged.

sgmlfmt: This is still the tool for processing the FAQ and
	handbook.  The interface is completely unchanged, but
	thanks to instant, it is a bit simpler and some
	longstanding bugs are gone.  Ultimately this may become
        simple enough that a shell script will do.

Docbook: Ultimately the FAQ, handbook and future documentation
	will use this DTD which is well supported and widely used
	in the software industry.  However, the conversion to
	[nt]roff and HTML is not yet ready for prime-time.  The
	question: should it be brought in now so people can start
	tinkering with it, or should it be kept out until a later
	date?

Questions and comments welcome.

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================