Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 23:25:35 +1000 (GMT+1000)
From:      Allan Rae <a.rae@mailbox.uq.edu.au>
To:        "J.S." <johann@broadpark.no>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, LyX Users <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Subject:   Re: LyX in FreeBSD

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, J.S. wrote:

> Has anyone experienced the following problems with LyX in FreeBSD?
> The people behind LyX mailinglist apparently aren't interested in backing
> us newbies up.

You mustn't have received the couple of questions asking if you were
referring to PDF export or your original questions were solely about
running latex (to generate a dvi or ps).

Are/were you subscribed?

Which formats are you having trouble exporting to?
Does View->DVI work or not?  (This uses "latex" not "pdflatex" and
should work unless your latex installation is broken -- we have a
couple of FreeBSD users including one using 4.5cvs and they haven't
reported any problems as vague as this report)

> 1. Problem exporting to most of the available formats when .EPS imagages
> are present.

eps images are mainly only handled by "latex" as in the command
"latex".  eps images are not supported by "pdflatex" so exporting to
pdf via pdflatex won't work.

I'm not sure what version you are using so I will guess that it is the
current stable: 1.1.6fix3 -- BTW, (that's short for By The Way, BTW)
1.1.6fix4 was released yesterday.

So if you want to build a pdf using eps figures and pdflatex you
should manually convert the eps to pdf using "epstopdf" -- should be
bundled in your tetex installation (with the pdflatex stuff).

Then in the LyX file remove the extension from the filename of the
figure. You might also want to disable figure rendering for that
figure (click on the figure with your left mouse button, in the dialog
that appears change Display->Do_not_show_this_figure to be unchecked).

> 2. Difficulty in getting LyX to recognize your X fonts, as well as
> difficulty defining custom fonts for i.e. headlines.

Our resident LaTeX/LyX help Guru, Herbert Voss, responded to you, but
only to the list I believe, saying you would need to enter some
additional latex commands in the preamble to redefine what the
document would use for, say Roman, if it wasn't available on the
hardcoded list shown in Layout->Document->Document->Fonts.  An example
of those commands can be found either by searching the mailing list
archive at:

	http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/

or in the tips and tricks pages at:

	http://www.lyx.org/help/fonts/fonts.php3

The instructions there can be adapted to whatever fonts packages you
want.  If that isn't sufficient a clear description of what you hope
to achieve can usually obtain a speedy answer if posted to the list.
Weedends are usually quiet though.

BTW, if you aren't subscribed it is best to say so in your mail so
people answering know to send to you as well as to the list.

(I'm not on the freebsd-questions list for example but since this is
cross-posted I would hope responders from that list would also reply
to the lyx-users list which I subscribed to without needing prompting)

As for the X fonts perhaps you be a bit more explicit.  What fonts are
you trying to use?  And how have you tried to set them?  Eg. what did
you set Edit->Preferences->Look&Feel->Screen_Fonts->Roman etc. to?

Be aware that the contents of the Encoding field on that tab are
used when trying load the Roman etc. fonts so if the encoding doesn't
match you won't get to use it.

> If anyone knows what I might do here, I'd really appreciate it.

If all else fails read the manual or search through the very
extensive tips and tricks collection available at:

	http://www.lyx.org/help/index.php3

Allan. (ARRae)