Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 14:30:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        bright@cygnus.rush.net (perlsta)
Cc:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, dyson@iquest.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inode / exec_map interlock ? (follow up)

perlsta said:

> I've noticed that the 'old' swapper or system seemed to leave a LOT of
> swap still used en it wasn't trully needed.  The new system seems to
> reclaim these regeons as soon as they are swapped in.  I've noticed the
> new swapper is a bit more 'peppy' but i'm concerned that it is dooing what
> John says.

Matt's code has a better allocator, and for that I applaud the code.
Regressing behavior, when information is available and offered is not
forward progress, but a loss of technology.  You could have had the
superior behavior of both, if the developer had listened.

> One other thing, I has some trouble getting to sleep last night and
> decided to venture into src/sys/vm, the comments are VERY helpful.  The
> kind of documentation going on here will really help people get into
> systems programming, it is MUCH appreciated.

If the code wasn't being substantially modified without review and
agreement, I would agree.  Function is more important than form,
and function is being lost.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid