Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2017 18:13:58 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca
Cc:        "James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: why does freebsd-update and uname report different patch levels?

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 12:04:19 -0500, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions wrote:
> We have recently completed upgrading all of our freebsd-11 systems to
> 11.1.  Now when we run freebsd-update fetch we see this:
>
> # freebsd-update fetch
> src component not installed, skipped
> Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
> Fetching metadata signature for 11.1-RELEASE from
> update5.freebsd.org... done.
> Fetching metadata index... done.
> Fetching 2 metadata patches.. done.
> Applying metadata patches... done.
> Fetching 2 metadata files... done.
> Inspecting system... done.
> Preparing to download files... done.
>
> No updates needed to update system to 11.1-RELEASE-p3.
>
> However, when we do 'uname -a' on the same system then we see this:
>
> FreeBSD inet13.hamilton.harte-lyne.ca 11.1-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD
> 11.1-RELEASE-p1 #0: Wed Aug  9 11:55:48 UTC 2017
> root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>
> Why is there a difference in the reported patch level of the same system?

The patch level only reflects the updates to the kernel. If
an update only contains changes to the userland (and the
kernel stays untouched), its version won't be changed. As
the "uname" command gets its information from the kernel,
userland changes cannot be made visible that way. This is
where the "freebsd-version" command is useful.

See "man uname" and "man freebsd-version" for details.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany