Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 22:15:15 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java/CORBA for FreeBSD

> I have two questions really.  First, does anyone know of any
> package similar Visigenic's VisiBroker that is available for
> FreeBSD?

I ported the BETA version of IONA's OrbixWeb to FreeBSD.  However, in
the process of doing so, I ended up removing all of the licensing
features.  However, to IONA's credit, I was unable to get IDL working,
since the compiler is a Solaris/Sparc executable. :)

In JDK1.2-BETA2 (which is available from SUN now) there is IDLtoJAVA,
along with what I believe to be all the necessary boilerplate to make it
work, so you may be able to combine the two to make a working CORBA
server.  There are also CORBA servers available on the WWW for free, and
I believe there is one in ports as well.

> Second, does anyone have any good docs/URls that pertain to
> load balancing client requests to a pool of CORBA-based servers?

Doug Schmidt has a bunch of stuff, but I don't have the URL handy.  You
make look for his home page using a search engine.

Nate