Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 17:06:41 -0500
From:      Drew Derbyshire <software@kew.com>
To:        Mike Nguyen <mikenguyen@sprintmail.com>
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Subject:   Re: Good keyboards

Mike Nguyen wrote:

> On 15-Jan-99 Jason C. Wells uttered:
> > On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Wes Peters wrote:
> >
> >>has a very nice keyboard made by NMB, say 95% as good as the Sun Type 5,
> >
> > I really like very nice tactile reponse of Powerbook keyboards as well as
> > the low profile of the keys. Looking for keyboards on the net yileds me
> > nothing but cheapo crap. I also tried converting to dvorak but the few
> > keyboards I tried had a curve profile so the keys could not be moved.
> >
> > Who makes good keyboards? Where can I get them?
>
> My favorite keyboard of all time are the IBM 101-key keyboards (the heavy ones
> with the click, not the cheap stuff they give you now).

I call them machine gun keyboards because of the noise the tactile feedback makes.
I own three compact narrow ones (no numeric keypad, does have normal arrows and
page keys) and one wide one.

> They are made by Lexmark, I think.

No. LexMark sold it off -- I want to say to UNICOMP.   Yup, The narrow one I'm
typing has IBM logo on top and "UNICOMP model M" on the bottom.  See
http://www.pckeyboard.com/IBMSales.htm

> Still available on RS/6000s, at least. I collect them whenever I can find a
> source, I have four, two I use at work, two I use at
> home. They're not cheap, though -- they seem to go for around $50 used,
> although I managed to snag a couple for free. They also last forever.

Electronic Planet here in Boston (Woburn) had a pile of the narrow ones for $15
last fall.  All gone now.

--
Drew Derbyshire         UUPC/extended e-mail:  software@kew.com
                                   Telephone:  617-279-9812

"...  Order the entire DOOM trilogy now!  After all, you'll probably end
 up in Hell anyway eventually.  Shouldn't you know your way around
 before you make the extended visit?"           - id Software