Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 21:37:52 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, Gustavo Rios <grios@gabriel.netshell.com.br>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: suid/guid

> Does 2.2.8-STABLE exist?  I thought 2.2.8 had stopped at RELEASE.

"Official" support stopped as of 2.2.8-RELEASE, yes, but various
committers have continued to fold in changes that were important to
them and/or requested on an individual basis.  As long as there's
somebody willing to back-port a change, and it's of the "no brainer"
type where no conceivable de-stabilizing downside exists, there's a
sort of tacit approval to commit it after the branch has officially
died.

Doing a quick diff between the RELENG_2_2_8_RELEASE and RELENG_2_2
tags, in fact, I see XXXK of diffs, mostly in the area of man page
fixes, Y2K changes (cosmetic) and login class defaults.  The vinum
filesystem also entered the tree, post-2.2.8, for some special
customer.

> There was some discussion, and I gather a 2.2.8 ports collection is
> on the net.  Unless this is being kept up to date, it will include
> some security holes.

This is something which should be actively taken up with Satoshi Asami
and/or ports@freebsd.org - I have no idea what his plans for updating
the ports which have specific and important security holes in them; if
asked nicely, he's generally pretty accomodating about the exceptions.

- Jordan