Date:      Fri, 01 Jun 2001 10:58:22 -0400
From:      Stuart Krivis <stuart@krivis.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The desktop apathy

--On Sunday, May 27, 2001 12:18:33 -0700 Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
wrote:

> Apple can't afford to do that, and a lot of their Carbon and Cocoa
> framework is all about providing bridgework for their classic OS 9
> customer base.  If you write an application to the Carbon API, for
> example, it will run on both older and newer Macs.  That's extremely

I am not completely thrilled with OS X. The GUI is not as good in some ways
as NeXT/OPENSTEP IMO. But I found OPENSTEP to be an extremely elegant OS.
It was no longer modern, but it still was ahead of some other systems in
some areas.

Aqua is good, but it seems a bit confused. They didn't want to completely
alienate their loyal MacOS userbase, so they Macified NS/OS. They also
wanted to keep some of the good features of NS/OS. Unfortunately, the
overall concept of the Aqua GUI isn't quite there yet.

Classic/Carbon/Cocoa: I'm glad I have the ability to run some Classic apps.
Carbon? I know why they did it, but Carbon sucks. Cocoa is very nice, but
they need to put back some things they took out. :-)

This also means that you have 3 different subsets of the GUI functionality.
It's a pain to have to deal with 3 ways of doing things.

> their AppBuilder stuff sometime and see how you can connect stuff
> graphically to ObjectiveC classes.  Very powerful.

This was always NeXT's biggest draw. It was a wonderful developer's
platform. I know people who will talk for hours about how great it was.
"Insanely great."