Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 11:12:21 -0800
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Debugging SMP instability (was Re: HEADS-UP: await/asleep removal imminent)

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 07:42:26PM +0100, Soren Schmidt wrote:
> > Basically if you're expecting me or the SMP team to figure out
> > what's going on without more info, you're pretty much out of luck.
>
> See above, not really possible, we have been trying to find some
> (affordable) HW that could be used to preserve a log over a boot,
> but so far I havn't been able to find anything that works, and
> is fast enough to not effect the system too much...

I did some research on this and am convinced that at least some video cards
would work as memory buffers for KTR logs.  Specifically, someone mentioned
to me yesterday that their Matrox Millennium II flashes the X desktop
during startup from a previous invocation across warm boots.  (I pursued
some alternatives and found the PCI RAM cards to be prohibitively expensive
(more than $700), and sound cards to not have enough RAM except on old
SoundBlaster AWE cards.)

For someone with device driver experience, I expect it would be a few hours
of effort to make it possible to use a second video card (or even the
primary one for that matter) as a DMA region in which KTR logs can be
saved, so that there is a way to debug even these spontaneous reboots
you're having.  Maybe I'll eventually get to implementing this myself, but
to be honest, I don't have a driving need for it right now, whereas you
do. =)

You're experiencing a stability problem that none of us (SMPng people) can
reproduce.  We'd love to fix the problem, but without more information,
your reports are only slightly more useful than the typical newbie "it's
broken" reports, though certainly more frustrating.

Jason