Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 08:46:38 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>, Ray Seals <rayseals@midwestis.com>, Nicholas Charles Brawn <ncb05@uow.edu.au>, "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Let's nail some things down.

On Thursday, 29 October 1998 at 16:31:54 -0500, Drew Baxter wrote:

>>> Not necessarily. I can picture a very cute chucky, dressed up like a
>>> fierce tribal warrior, holding a trident instead of a spear. I think
>>> it'd look quite cool if that had an attached 'FreeBSD Native' on it. :)
>> I like the tribal warrior look.  I also like the 'FreeBSD Native' wording.
>> I think that there should only be 2 classifications.  We just need to
>> continue to adhere to a strict quality control standard before these are
>> issued.  This is a great opportunity for us.
>
> Just as long as we don't end up with a Holy War, or people thinking they're
> being offended or whatever, all's well.  At the same time, 2 is good
> enough, and 3 is excessive.  Works With should just be "requires minimal
> modification".. If it requires too much modification, the designer should
> put it in themselves in another tree or something of the CD.

How about not issuing emblems for the third class, just putting them
on the web site?  That way we'll have enough space and time to explain
the pitfalls to potential purchasers.  At the same time we'll have
more (I didn't say much :-) leverage to get the vendors to include
whatever it takes on their distribution.

Greg