Date:      Wed, 8 May 2002 17:33:45 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Joerg Micheel <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: It's not fun anymore. (Mike resigns from core)

At 7:34 AM +1200 5/9/02, Joerg Micheel wrote:
>On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 06:29:10PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
>>  On Wed, 08 May 2002 10:00:12 -0400, Robert Watson wrote:
>>
>  > > Well, I think I speak for everyone in the project when
>  > > I say that we're sorry to hear that you are resigning
>  > > from the core team, [...]
>  >
>  > Nope, you don't speak for me.  I'm thrilled that Mike's
>  > leaving the core team.  His heart's obviously not in it
>  > any more, so the fact that he has all the right skills
>  > for being useful on core doesn't mean anything any more.
>
>It sounds like it is people like you who have been giving
>Mike a hard time.

What Sheldon meant may not have come across clearly to
all readers.  I must admit that my initial reaction to
Sheldon's comment was similar to yours, but then I read
it a bit closer and slower.  Think of it this way:

    Mike says that it no longer fun to work on core.  If
    Mike hates working on core, then it is very good for
    Mike to stop working on core.  We do not wish Mike
    to continue in a position he hates simply because he
    has the ability to do a good job at it.

    It's much better to let Mike do a good job at
    whatever it is that he enjoys doing.

I think everyone is sorry that working on core has turned
out so frustrating for Mike that it is no longer fun, but
if the guy hates the job then by all means he should feel
free to leave it.  That's the right thing to do with a
volunteer project.  Mike the core member is dead -- but
long live Mike the developer!