Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 17:04:07 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        andrew@pubnix.net
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Uptime report

: Solution, quit X every so often, all your memory comes back.

*NO*  the memory didn't come back when I did this.  The X server was
only about 8M when I exited it.  X is not running and I still have 33M
of swap in use on my machine, just like before I exited X.

: One could then deduce that the leak is somewhere in X11R6.

I don't think there is a leak in the X server.  However, there may be
sub-optimal memory usage in the X server that causes it to keep
growning and growing due to increaing memory fragmentation.  I know a
few people that have purified the X server and found only marginal
leaks (like on the order of 20k over several hours of running
netscape-like programs).

Warner