Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 17:38:42 -0700
From:      "Don Sutter" <drs@suntreeaz.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Transferring users

I'm thinking of installing FreeBSD 4.4 on a trial box.
Assuming I like what I see, how difficult is it to transfer
my existing pile of users from my existing 4.3 system over
to the new system?  I know I'll need to take over, and
possibly modify, files that I've massaged in /etc,
/etc/namedb and /etc/mail as well as all of the things I
need to do in /usr/local/etc (apache, mysql, etc.).

But I'm mostly concerned with my users.  Obviously, /home
needs to be transferred but I don't want to re-enter all of
my users and their passwords and home directory pointers all
over again.  I like adduser and vipw but not over and over
again.  The passwd file will be transferred over from the
old system but what about the passwords?

I've never done this before and would appreciate some
insight from anyone who's been there before.

Thanks

Don