Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 2003 12:07:54 +0900
From:      Kyunghwan Kim <redjade@atropos.snu.ac.kr>
To:        Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 core dumps on Inspiron 5100

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 02:04:08PM +0000, Charles Owens wrote:
> An update... I've now got XFree86 (4.3.0_8 on FreeBSD 4.8-stable)
> complaining much less.   The only remaining error message is, like you
> show in your log message:
>
>  (WW) RADEON(0): Bad V_BIOS checksum
>
> plus the last informational line looks like a big problem.
>
>  (II): RADEON(0): Panel Size from BIOS: 65535x65535
>
> Then,  it core dumps.
>

> I've closely followed the DRI intsructions from
> http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/dri
> Am I right that this is the only way to get a driver for the Radeon
> card?  (as opposed to something not DRI/DRM-related)
>
> When I get some more time I'll post my XF86Config and the full xfree86
> log...
>
> Has anyone had any luck with XFree86 4.3.0 with a Radeon Mobility M7
> video card?  Or, more specifically, on a Dell Inspiron 5100 or similar.

Are you using agp-enabled kernel?
Panel size mis-probing is caused by omitted suppport for agp bridge.
I'm not sure what kind of agp bridge your Dell inspiron use but
if it is i82855 or i82875, you will need agp_intel.c revision 1.17
But it is not yet MFCed.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/pci/agp_intel.c
--
Kyunghwan Kim