Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2002 16:58:45 +0800
From:      "Zhang Weiwu" <weiwuzhang@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: Neomagic 256 problem on TP600E

Your 640x480 display looks bad cause LCD and CRT works in different ways,
if an LCD has to display in 640x480 normally it will strech some pixel and
display it in actually 800x600 resolution. That makes it extremely ugly.

The currect device node in XF86Config for 256 AV probably look like:
Device "NM256etc etc"

If it is the drive and the XF86Config is generated by XFree86 -configure
you may find the two commented options:
option   "LcdCentral"
option   "NoStretch"
uncomment the two lines to make a good looking 640x480 display.

about change resolution -- look up man XFree86, man xinit and man
XF86Config, there are detailed information about it. If you have the right
drive it shouldn't be a problem, just read on and follows instructions.

Take care of your XFree86 version. You should use version 4, not version 3.
version 3 DOES NOT support NeoMagic card. FreeBSD 4.5 by default install a
version 3 of XFree86 for you. You can use /stand/sysinstall to add XF86 4.0
.

By the way i'm a newbie. There can be mistakes. I'm just trying to make
myself useful for even somebody.

Please do not reply to this address, use zhangweiwu@private.21cn.com
instead, as you can find in mail header.