Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 02:23:52 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   pccard newbusification update

No, no new patches yet, but I did want to drop people an update since
I've had much interest in private mail.

I've been busy trying to fix the problems that Doug, Peter and others
found in the code.  I've discovered that I can delete even more code
than I thought I could before.  I've deleted a little too much code,
and now need to add a little back (it needs to be completely different
than before, so it isn't a simple paste from the old stuff).  When
that code done and I can once again insert a card w/o panicing the
system, I'll likely do another snapshot.  I'll post here when that
happens.

I've found why some people's pcic doesn't probe, and have a kinda
working cbb in pccard mode, but the last round of deletions busted
this, so I'll have to fix that as well.

I have a good handle on the missing interrupt problems that I'm sure
everybody who has gotten my code to kinda work has seen.  I've also
corrected many roadblocks in the way of getting my code to work on
machines that aren't my own.

Migrating this code is turning out to be harder than I had originally
thought.  However, I've discovered time and again that I'm making
things too hard with newbus, so I simplify what I've done again.

This is turning into a lot more than the original "minimal hacks to
get it working with newbus."  However, it appears that the current
pccard is mostly working for old, legacy drivers.  The new drivers
that people are interested in (sio and to a lesser extent ata and fdc)
will have to wait until I get to a releasable point.

One thing I'd like to do in the long term is migrate pccardd into the
kernel and have the bridge devices read/parse the CIS, allocate the
driver resources, and do the probe/attach stuff.  Or tell the pccard
bus module to do it.  I'm still tying to work out those details in the
long haul.

Warner