Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2013 21:02:30 +0100
From:      Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: copying milllions of small files and millions of dirs

On 15/08/2013 19:13, aurfalien wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a faster way to copy files over NFS?
>
> Currently breaking up a simple rsync over 7 or so scripts which copies 22 dirs having ~500,000 dirs or files each.

I'm reading all this with interest. The first thing I'd have tried would
be tar (and probably netcat) but I'm a probably bit of a dinosaur. (If
someone wants to buy me some really big drives I promise I'll update).
If it's really NFS or nothing I guess you couldn't open a socket anyway.

I'd be interested to know whether tar is still worth using in this world
of volume managers and SMP.