Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 00:47:47 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   (man page || manpage) => manual page

Hello there,

Nice to see someone has taken it upon himself to finish the job I left
in the middle (by completing only the articles/ part) a while ago.

>        config file with the appropriate entries.  See the
> -      <samp>stl(4)</samp> man page and the appropriate section of the
> +      <samp>stl(4)</samp> manual page and the appropriate section of the

When &man.xxx.y; references are being made I prefer the style that
Jeroen suggested to me a long time ago.  Instead of writing:

	"see the foo(n) manpage"

You can simply use "see foo(n)", since it should be apparent that this
is a reference to a manual page.  Repeating in every such place that
it "is a manual page" is a bit of an overkill.

>  	would generate such a set of context diffs for the given
> -	source file or directory hierarchy.  See the man page for
> +	source file or directory hierarchy.  See the manual page for
>  	&man.diff.1; for more details.</para>

Another example of a case where dropping "manpage" altogether gives
actually more aesthetically pleasing results.  Compare the text above
with the following:

	See diff(1) for more details.

>    <para>This chapter was written by &a.murray; with selections from a
> -    variety of sources including the intro(4) man page by
> +    variety of sources including the intro(4) manual page by
>      &a.joerg;.</para>

I guess this can safely be replaced with &man.intro.4;.

> -            handbook, the man page or from the ppp.conf.sample file.
> +            handbook, the manual page or from the ppp.conf.sample file.

Now that I see this...  You might want after you've done the manpage
changes to wrap ppp.conf.sample in <filename> tags.  Or I'll do it,
but in a few days, to avoid making you merge stuff again and again.

>  	Additional encoding options can be found by consulting the
> -	lame man page.</para>
> +	lame manual page.</para>

Since `lame' is used in IRC to denote 'silly', 'idiot', or similar,
you will probably want to change this part.  Make it something like:

	by consulting
	<citerefentry>
	  <refentrytitle>lame</refentrytitle>
	  <manvolnum>1</manvolnum>
	</citerefentry>.

This emulates the functionality of &man.lame.1;.  You can even make
this a local entity in the file that references the manpage, by adding
to the <!DOCTYPE> element the proper stuff:

    [ <!ENTITY man.lame.1 "<citerefentry/<refentrytitle/lame/<manvolnum/1//"> ]

and then using &man.lame.1; as usual.

> -in your ppp configuration file (refer to the man page for details).</para>
> +in your ppp configuration file (refer to the manual page for details).</para>

I would make the manpage reference more explicit here, and use
&man.ppp.1; in the parenthesized text:

	... (refer to &man.ppp.1; for details).</para>

Well, that's all.  I hope it hasn't started to get annoying yet ;)

- Giorgos