Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 13:53:55 EST
From:      "S M - BigHartUSA" <spmncmb@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HELP!

------=_NextPart_000_1be87db4_5f6c6228$eec02a3

Hi there,

I am trying to install a script onto my homepage and I do not understand
some of the instructions so I have enclosed them as a file for your perusal
and hopefully you might be able to help me.

My questions are in red.

Thanks,
SPM

------=_NextPart_000_1be87db4_5f6c6228$eec02a3

<head>
content="Tue, 04 Dec 1993 21:29:02 GMT">
content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
content="Free Classifieds for the Community of Nottinghamshire in the UK">
content="nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire notts Notts nottingham Nottingham UK uk U.K. u.k. United Kingdom united kingdom Free free Classified classified business Business Web web Home home page Page homepage Homepage advertising Advertising ads adds Ads Adds">
<title>notts.net Classifieds - Nottinghamshire's (UK) Community Site</title>
</head>

vlink="#800040">

    to classifieds, &quot;classifieds.cgi&quot;,
    &quot;remove.cgi&quot; and &quot;removeall.cgi&quot;, the
    first is the actual script that posts the classified ads, the
    second allows a user to remove their ad if their item has
    been sold etc. and the third allows you to delete all ads
    placed on a certain date.</font></p>
    least Perl v4 to run. Place it in your cgi-lib directory on
    your web server and &quot;chmod 755&quot; to turn it into an
    executable script. </font></p>
    understand what he means by chmod 755 and Perl v4 (I suppose
    I have to put Perl v4 in my cgi-lib directory as it says
    above but would I have to download it and then upload it to
    my cgi-lib directory on my home page server?) I have not
    chmod 755 this as I do not know how to.</font></p>
    three of the included form html files for your own ad form.
    Find the files &quot;index.html&quot;,
    &quot;remove.html&quot; and &quot;removeall.html&quot; and
    make the following changes:</font></p>
    <ul>
        <li><font face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL">&lt;form method=post
            action=&quot;/cgi-bin/classifieds.cgi&quot;&gt; </font><p><font
            face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL">Edit this to where you
            placed the scripts. If you simply placed them in the
            cgi-bin directory then this is sufficient.</font></p>
            have put the .cgi scripts into a directory called
            /cgi-bin/)</font></p>
        </li>
        <li>&nbsp;</li>
        <li><font face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL">&lt;input
            type=&quot;hidden&quot;
            name=&quot;ClassifiedsDir&quot;
            value=&quot;/var/www/docs/classifieds/&quot;&gt;</font><p><font
            face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL">Edit this to where your
            classified ads will be located.</font></p>
            classifieds are located in /cgi-bin/classifieds/</font></p>
        </li>
        <li>&nbsp;</li>
        <li><font face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL">&lt;input
            type=&quot;hidden&quot; name=&quot;ViewDir&quot;
            value=&quot;http://www.yourdomain.com/classifieds/&quot;&gt;</font><p><font
            face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL">Edit this to the URL where
            your classified ads will be located.</font></p>
            URL is
            http://equscalibus.virtualave.net/cgi-bin/classifieds/</font></p>;
        </li>
        <li>&nbsp;</li>
        <li><font face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL">&lt;input
            type=&quot;hidden&quot; name=&quot;ErrorReturn&quot;
            value=&quot;http://www.yourdomain.com/classifieds/index.html&quot;&gt;</font><p><font
            face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL">Edit this for where you
            want the system to return the user if they make an
            error. It would be wise to return the user back to
            the adform.</font></p>
            is located in </font><a
            href="http://equscalibus.virtualave.net/error/index.html"><font
            color="#FF0080" face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL">http://equscalibus.virtualave.net/error/index.html</font></a><font
            color="#FF0080" face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL"> and is
            also located in </font><a
            href="http://equscalibus.virtualave.net/classifieds/index.html"><font
            color="#FF0080" face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL">http://equscalibus.virtualave.net/classifieds/index.html</font></a><font
            color="#FF0080" face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL"> . If the
            user makes an error, he will be returned to the
            index.html file located in the
            http://equscalibus.virtualave.net/error/index.html
            directory.</font></p>
        </li>
        <li>&nbsp;</li>
        <li><font face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL">&lt;input
            type=&quot;hidden&quot; name=&quot;ReturnURL&quot;
            value=&quot;http://www.yourdomain.com/classifieds/Thanks.html&quot;&gt;</font><p><font
            face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL">This is the URL for the
            thank you page that thanks the user for placing an ad
            on your system. You'll need to create this thank you
            page to whatever you want it to say.</font></p>
            file is located in
            http://equscalibus.virtualave.net/thanks/thankyou.html</font></p>;
        </li>
        <li>&nbsp;</li>
        <li><font face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL">&lt;input
            type=&quot;hidden&quot; name=&quot;return&quot;
            value=&quot;You@yourdomain.com&quot;&gt;</font><p><font
            face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL">This is the return email
            address that is used for sending emails to users.</font></p>
            use a web based e-mail program at </font><a
            href="http://www.hotmail.com"><font color="#FF0080"
            face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL">http://www.hotmail.com</font></a><font
            color="#FF0080" face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL"> so </font><a
            href="mailto:You@yourdomain.com"><font
            color="#FF0080" face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL">&quot;You@yourdomain.com&quot;</font></a><font
            color="#FF0080" face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL"> is </font><a
            href="mailto:equscalibus@hotmail.com"><font
            color="#FF0080" face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL">equscalibus@hotmail.com</font></a><font
            color="#FF0080" face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL"> .</font></p>
        </li>
        <li>&nbsp;</li>
        <li><font face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL">&lt;input
            type=&quot;hidden&quot; name=&quot;mailprog&quot;
            value=&quot;/usr/sbin/sendmail&quot;&gt;</font><p><font
            face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL">This is the location of
            the mailprog on your server. </font></p>
            do not understand what a mailprog is or where I would
            find it.</font></p>
        </li>
    </ul>
    the individual files that the ads will be appended to. If you
    have five different topics such as &quot;Business&quot;,
    &quot;Employment&quot;, &quot;Real Estate&quot;, &quot;For
    Sale&quot;, and &quot;Computers&quot;, you'll need a file for
    each different topic. It needs to be the exact name for the
    department you named in the form. We have included an example
    file 'computersoftware.html' with this script which you can
    copy and edit for each of the departments you use.</font></p>
    index file to see how the departments were added up.</font></p>
    the same directory as your classified ads. Make sure you
    chmod 777 this file and all the classified topic files that
    you created for each department. You'll also need to take the
    UserDataFile.html file and place it in the same directory and
    chmod 777 this file. The name and address info for each
    advertiser is placed in this file with a link added to the
    person's name to e-mail them if you need to. It also tells
    you what ad number it is, what department it was placed in,
    and the complete text of the ad.</font></p>
    AdNumber.dta file is in </font><a
    href="http://equscalibus.virtualave.net/classifieds/"><font
    color="#FF0080" face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL">http://equscalibus.virtualave.net/classifieds/</font></a><font
    color="#FF0080" face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL"> <br>
    The UserDataFile.html is in </font><a
    href="http://equscalibus.virtualave.net/classifieds/"><font
    color="#FF0080" face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL">http://equscalibus.virtualave.net/classifieds/</font></a><font
    color="#FF0080" face="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL"> <br>
    But I have not &quot;chmod 777&quot; these files as I do not
    know how to.</font></p>
    sure your ad form is pointed to &quot;post&quot; the
    information to the directory and file of the script. It
    should work. The only thing that you may need to change in
    the scripts files is the first line which points to your
    perl. The default is #!/usr/bin/perl </font></p>
    he mean by this? </font></p>

------=_NextPart_000_1be87db4_5f6c6228$eec02a3--