Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 1999 16:12:10 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, committers@freebsd.org, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/make.conf abuse

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Warner Losh wrote:

> I think /usr/src, for all valuses of /usr/src, is the right place to
> do this.  Do it like the ports tree does things now.

I.e.,  it should work in in src tree, and in as many src subtrees as
possible.

> However, I'd be
> loathe to force people to set BSDSRCDIR when building the system just
> to get this.  It would allow people to have different build trees with
> different settings on the same machine, which is desirable.  eg I have

I agree.  The problem is that the default configuration files and .mk
files are hard to locate when building deep in a src tree or in an
incomplete tree (especially when the incomplete tree doesn't contain the
files).

The ".." searching hacks that I added to bsd.kmod.mk can probably be
improved.  They currently know too much about the layout of sys/modules
and search up through only 2 or 3 ".."'s.  Naively searching higher is
worse than useless since it is too easy to search out of the tree and end
up in a different tree (a different tree is more likely to have wrong
defaults than the standard places).  This can be improved by putting marker
files at critical places in the tree (especially at the top), so that a
searcher can know if it found a critical place.  If no critical place is
found before reaching "/", then use standard defaults (/usr/share/mk,
etc.).

For traversing trees, the search should only be done at the top level,
only if the user hasn't specified the root of the src tree that contains
the defaults.

Bruce