Date:      Tue, 08 Apr 1997 17:06:20 -0400
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FW: Unix Gurus shift to Microsoft (fwd)

At 02:30 PM 4/8/97 -0400, Peter Dufault wrote:

>> its not THAT outrageous...if you think those guys can't be bought (they
>> already
>> have been, in fact), then you're head is in the sand....stranger things
have
>> happened.....
>
>Anyone wanting to whip up their paranoia a level should get the latest
>issue of Upside.  I don't think it is an April fool's issue.  Some high
>points I remember include:
>
>Microsoft R&D $2e9 this year "and we're going to triple it" (they
>don't say how fast though);
>
>Microsoft hardware group revenues $3e6 per employee;
>
>Microsoft presenting 20% of the papers at SIGGRAPH;
>
>etc etc.
>
>Especially entertaining is the discussion of the Windows CE platform,
>which one article claims is a proprietary hardware and software
>product with the manufacturers competing to be low cost contract
>hardware manufacturers for Microsoft.

I wonder how long its going to take for the courts to bone up on this and
understand what Microsoft has become. The WebTV acquisition is very
troubing to me, as well as the fact that they also announced that the will
be selling "diskless workstations". Pretty soon they will make everyone
buy hardware from them also...it seems fairly clear that thats the direction
they are taking.

Dennis