Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 2002 13:43:13 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NIS/YP -NFS -DISKLESS problem, weird

Hello.

I need some help again.

As I posted yesterday herein, I migrate our NIS/YP and DHCP server
from one system to another. This machine acts also as a limited NFS server
for the diskless systems. So far.

The strange and really weird problem is now, that althought I made a 1:1
copy of the diskless boot area from the old system to the new one and
reconfigured isc-dhcpd to match the new IP, booting the client fails at
a point I can not see why it gets stuck.
The diskless root tree is exported read only, as done on the old system.
I can see the X-Terminals and other diskless systems booting but when
mounting / via NFS from the boot host, they get stuck. It seems that they
can not mount the NFS file system, but that is not the problem.

I exported then the root tree of the diskless systems to another system
and I saw that they can mount it without any problem. But now the
weird thing comes into play: I can travers via cd and ls __all__ directories
and can list all dir entries execept those of etc!!!!!

I deleted /diskless/etc, /diskless/conf/base/etc and created them via
mtree -deU -f /usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.root.dist -p /diskless and populated
them with some self made files via touc etc. No problem, I can ls the
entries and show them. But whenever I trie to copy the base population
from /usr/share/examples/etc/* or /usr/src/etc/* into the base etc
directory, each following ls freezes the terminal and results in a stuck/stale
NFS file handle (I guess, I do not get any errors, the terminla is simply
locked up).

When I delete all the entries in the mentioned etc dirs on the fileserver (the
boot server for the terminals) I do not have trouble anymore, but when populating
it again the result is the same.

What's going on there?

All systems we use are FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE and the machine which acts as
boot server for diskless clients has been set up newly this week. So, this seems
to me to be a harsh bug. It does not occur on the old boot server.

Can anyone help, give a tip or hint? What's wrong here?

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)