Date:      Thu, 9 Jun 2011 03:45:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: Long Day's Journey into <Bleep>

=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0AFrom: Gary Kline <kline@t=
nt: Wed, June 8, 2011 8:56:59 PM=0ASubject: Long Day's Journey into <Bleep>=
=0A=0A=0AWell, people, =0A=0AIt's been a long, long century.=A0 I've been d=
own for 5 days.=0ACouldn't understand _why_ I couldn't ping anywhere [expec=
t the=0AServer itself].=A0 Finally, tho, it became more and more likely tha=
t=0Amy FreeBSD was fine ... even tho I kept stripping the most likely=0Apro=
blem points.=A0 My large 16-port LinkSys router was either *it* or=0Ait was=
 some kind of bug unknown to geekdom.=A0 After a friend bought=0Ame a new (=
and tiny) 8-port switch, yes!=A0 I could ping everywhere.=A0 =0A=0AI'm stil=
l bringing back the dozens of things I removed from ethic.=0AAnd testing ne=
w ideas.=A0 But I have a general question: have any of=0Ayou wizards who ru=
n your own domains or otherwise use a switch [or=0Ahub] *ever* had it just-=
quit?!=A0 It is solid-state.=A0 Yes, the box is=0Awithin my feet/foot reach=
.=A0 I have accidently kicked it i suppose,=0Abut still.=A0 =0A=0AAfter wan=
dering in the wilderness for 5 days, <<mmph>>, dunno.=A0 =0A=0Agary=0A=0APS=
: yes, this is a serious question.=A0 1) I like things-Cisco, and =0ALinkSy=
s.=A0 I just bought this switch about 2.5 years ago, so I really=0Aam looki=
ng for feedback.=0A=0APPS:=A0 Another question to ask about upgrading is ne=
xt.=0A=0A=0A-- =0AGary Kline=A0 kline@thought.org=A0 http://www.thought.org=
=A0 Public Service Unix=0A=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Journey Toward the Dawn, E-Bo=
ok: http://www.thought.org=0A=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 The 8.51a release of Jotti=
ngs: http://jottings.thought.org=0A=0A_____________________________________=
bsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions=0ATo unsubscribe, send any mail =
to "freebsd-questions-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"=0A=0A=0A=0AGood to hear you'=
re back on line. But to answer your question about parts going =0Abad. I ha=
ven't had much go bad on me in the last 10 years but back in the 1990's =0A=
when I was doing pure IT work and was making lots of purchases of parts I d=
id. =0ANow you have to remember that back then a 28.8 modem cost $375 and c=
ell phones =0Awere only in the hands of the very rich and very important. I=
 could buy parts =0Aand sometimes find them defective out of the box. Other=
s would work fine.=0A=0AToday, I haven't bought many new components because=
 everything is working. My =0Aswitch has been operating fine for the last f=
ive years. I replaced my FreeBSD =0Asever a few years ago. It was a P166 wi=
th 96MB RAM and it had been running =0Aalmost non-stop, 24/7 for 12 years. =
But then I had another machine right next to =0Ait that I built in 2002 and=
 it whimped out only a couple of years later and I =0Ahardly ever ran that =
machine. =0A=0A=0AIn today's world, I would say that the majority of the pa=
rts you buy will be =0Agood to go, but that's why parts only come with a 90=
 or 1 year warranty. The =0Amanufacturers know when to back off their guara=
ntees on electronic components.=0A