Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:45:31 +0100
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Porting java stuff? Proposal?

Hi,

Sorry for the cross post, but I think it's needed here, since many
people don't seem to follow both ports and java lists.

Short version:

I propose that there should be a directory where FreeBSD ports can put
java library files (aka .jar files). My suggestion is
$PREFIX/share/java/lib.

Long version:

I have almost finished a port for jsdk-2.0 (java servlet development
kit).

JSDK is distributed as a tarball with precompiled java classes, docs,
examples and stuff in a bunch of directories. Naturally, since it's the
easiest for the people making the software, the recommended installation
is to extract the tarball into /usr/local/JSDK2.0, add
/usr/local/JSDK2.0/bin to the search path and /usr/local/JSDK2.0/lib to
the CLASSPATH, etc... sic... I have done this a lot when working with
Solaris, and after a while the env variables were several miles long,
and it's darn near impossible to get everthing right for many users
etc... That's why FreeBSD has hier(7), and the ports collection, right?

Now, beeing a BSD:er, I have split the directories in the JSDK tarball
as follows, relative to $PREFIX (usually /usr/local):

bin       -> bin  (i.e. /usr/local/bin)
lib       -> share/java/lib
src       -> share/java/src
examples  -> share/examples/jsdk
doc       -> share/doc/jsdk

You can call me a lunatic for putting all this effort into splitting a
perfectly well organized directory structure, but anyway... Most of the
above list isn't very strange, it's like most other ports, but the
share/java is different. (I threw out a question about where to put
"ported" java .jar files on the java list a week or so ago, and almost
started a flame war, but I'm putting my cheek out again :)

I propose that we have a common /usr/local/share/java/lib where ports
(and manually too) can put jar files (and sources in share/java/src?).
The almost-flame-discussion was wheather this should be in
/usr/local/lib, libdata, libexec or share, or maybe a fresh new
directory. Well, I run other systems than FreeBSD (though I'd rather not
:) , and I like the idea of share/java since I export share to all
(unix) platforms (almost). java is platform independent, right?

I'd really like to hear your opinions on this. Do you care at all about
this matter? Is it important to split java tarballs up like this, or is
it just asking for trouble (script wrappers usually has to be patched to
some degree, making them possibly error prone...)? Shall we have java
appliations in the ports collection? If so, shouldn't we have a USE_JDK
macro which defines the JDK version, sort of like with perl?

Palle Girgensohn