Date:      Sat, 02 Dec 2000 13:17:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@technokratis.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: zero copy code review

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> > 	- Stylistic suggestion: please try to keep things 25x80. :-)
>
> I try, and I think most of the changes are, except for the NFS stuff.  I
> didn't reformat that, although I suppose I could.  (It irritates me, too.)

	Ah, that explains it.

> In its current incarnation, EXT_DISPOSABLE indicates that the the memory
> used in the mbuf can be disposed of -- i.e. removed from the kernel's
> virtual address map.  The contents aren't disposed of, they're just moved
> elsewhere.
>
> I don't think most of the rest of the mbuf code is setup to deal with the
> memory inside a non-external mbuf going away.  (Which would be the
> potential implication of having EXT_DISPOSABLE be a regular m_flag.)

	Okay, leaving that exactly the way it is now is The Right Thing To
  Do (I'm now convinced).

> >  tiio.h: Are you sure tiio.h belongs in src/sys/sys ?
>
> Well, it defines the interface for the character device front end for the
> ti(4) driver.  Usually ioctls and supporting structures go in sys/sys.
> Would you suggest another location?

	No, you're right.

> When Bill converted the ti(4) driver from spls to mutexes, I did the same
> conversion on my modifications to the driver.  Is that sufficient?  I'm not
> terribly up-to-date on the mutex stuff.
>
> As for the rest of the code, since it was written pre-mutex, it still has
> the spls in the right places.  I suppose that they would just need to be
> converted to mutexes.  (Or is that an overly simplistic way to look at it? :)

	Well, you really only want to maintain data consistency with the
  lock. So you'll be looking at protecting your jumbo_kmap lists in the
  uipc_jumbo.c case with their own lock(s). If you're always looking at
  both of the lists (inuse and free) at the same time, protecting them with
  a single lock would be sufficient.
  	For what concerns splvm(), you can leave that as is for now. I've
  included comments regarding locking in another post, for uipc_jumbo.c
  	As for if_ti, I would have Bill Paul review that.

> >  Finally, I'd like to
> >  suggest possibly breaking up some of the diff to smaller chunks, just so
> >  it is easier to track things down if something does break. With -CURRENT
> >  changing relatively dramatically now sometimes several times in a single
> >  day, I think this would be worth it for everybody.
>
> Heh, well, the big chunk is the Tigon firmware.  :)
>
> Are you suggesting just splitting the diffs out into multiple files, or
> actually breaking the changes up?  The latter would be rather difficult to
> do, I think.

	I was suggesting breaking some of the changes up, actually, and
  committing in several chunks (two or three, as opposed to one). But if
  this is too much of a problem, you don't have to feel obliged to
  implement the suggestion.

> Ken
> --
> Kenneth Merry