Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 10:06:51 -0500
From:      Ford Prefect <fordp@guide.chi.il.us>
To:        Mark <maxiter@inetu.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Duplicating Hard Drives

If the new drive happens to be identical to the old one you could use the
dd command.
something like dd if=/dev/rda0 of=/dev/rda1 should work.... (or whatever
the raw devices you have are)
Of course if they aren't identical I'd imagine you might make quite a mess
of things that way.

At 11:05 AM 4/10/00 -0400, you wrote:

>A question about duplicating content from one hard drive to the next...
>
>Let's say that we have a hard drive which looks like it's getting ready to
>fail.  Being proactive, we'd like to replace the hard drive before it
>actually becomes unusable.  :)
>
>In the past, I've added extra hard drives to FreeBSD 2.2.8, 3.2, and 3.4
>systems without any trouble.  I've moved the content from one partition to
>another (IE., from /usr on drive 0 to the new /usr partition on drive 1).
>That much isn't a problem.
>
>The heart of my question is this:  After I put in the second hard drive
>and move all the content over, how do I get the necessary boot sector
>programs in place where they should be?  As the first (failing) hard drive
>needs to come out, the second must boot as the first did.
>
>Suggestions?
>

>Thanks!

>Mark Rekai - INetU, Inc.(tm) - http://www.INetU.net
>Electronic commerce - Web development - Web hosting
>       Mark@INetU.net - Phone: (610) 266-7441

 \ Ford Prefect                   Ahead of my time.    \
  \ fordp@guide.chi.il.us           but only by a week. \
   \ homepage.interaccess.com/~fordp                     \
     \          ((In esperanto where available))           \