Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 96 12:22:02 CST
From:      eck@sc10.dseg.ti.com (Terry Eck (@s704))
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        eck@sc10.dseg.ti.com
Subject:   FreeBSD Install but will not boot!

Hello,

Earlier this moring i sent a request for help to this mail list but I may
have addressed it wrong since I have not gotten a reply. The following is
a brief description of my problem.

I've installed FreeBSD v2.1 via the Walnut Creek cdrom. The target disk
was the 2nd hard drive. I selected the entire disk for install. I choose
not to install any boot manager since I use OS/2's bootmanager to boot
DOS, OS/2, Linux and hopefully BSD.

After install the machine rebooted and locked up with a 2 line message
on the screen in very large letters. Next I booted OS/2 from floppy and
reinstalled the bootmanager (somehow the BSD install defined the boot
partition as non-startable).

Rebooting I selected the partition with FreeBSD and got the Boot: prompt.
Since I need to specify the port address I entered -c<CR> and the computer
started with a single | character instead of the series |/-\|/-\ and the
computer halted. I had to do a hard reboot.

I've also tried the fixit disk after booting with the install floppy and
mounted and looked at the filesystem. Everything looked ok (not sure since
I'm new to BSD).

I've tried to provide parameters for the boot sector when booting from the
floppy but I'm not sure about hard drive notation. I think I used various
combinations of wd1a/kernel at the boot prompt.

Nothing seems to work. Can anyone help me out or point me in a direction
which might help me.

Looking forward to running FreeBSD,

Terry

Post to the list or mail directly to eck@sc10.dseg.ti.com