Date:      Thu, 9 May 2002 00:07:10 +0200
From:      Nils Holland <nils@daemon.tisys.org>
To:        Coleman Kane <cokane@one.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: It's not fun anymore. (Mike resigns from core)

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 05:02:15PM -0400, Coleman Kane stood up and spoke:

> Who knows, perhaps between Mike and Jordan leaving and the atmosphere that
> surrounds all of this trouble, it may bring up leadership from some of the
> younger community to actually do something real nice for the project.

Well, being no FreeBSD developer or contributor, but rather a long-time
FreeBSD user, I must say that I don't see it as alarming if some of the
"old" people resign or at least decide to step back a bit. I guess this is
perfectly normal - for projects like FreeBSD as much as for commercial
companies.

How "alive" FreeBSD is can not be dertemined by looking at how long a
certain programmer / core member has been around, but only by looking at
the popularity of FreeBSD amongst programmers, commiters, and end-users.
And as such, FreeBSD seems to be alive and kicking.

It's normal that people, after having been doing a certain thing for a long
period of time, will at some time get bored, and start doing something
else, either totally giving up the old thing, or at least cutting time they
spend on it. This makes room for new faces, new ways of doing things, and
new ideas.

I find that if you reach a point where something you do is no fun anymore,
something must be wrong, and you should probably draw the neccessary
consequences. That's what Mike did. It's what I would have done if I were
in his situation.

So the bottom line is that even after the things that have happened here
lately, I don't see FreeBSD as a project being in danger. All I see is the
normal way of current people leaving and new people appearing. So, nothing
to worry about, actually.

Greetings
Nils

--