Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 22:00:59 -0700
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Carlo Dapor <carlo@vis.ethz.ch>
Cc:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>, Stu Brown <stuartb@abs.karoo.co.uk>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Subject:   Re: Porting JDK1.2.2 to OpenBSD

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 05:59:02AM +0200, Carlo Dapor wrote:
> Thank You, Greg and Bill, and all the others.
> The BSD world is coming back to the top.
>
> Ciao, derweil,
> --
> Carlo

Hehe.

Yeah, we're both hitting the native threading stuff at the same time
in our development process.

[Some Status]

Most recently I've been trying to figure out why appletviewer hangs when
I run it. Some investigation reveals that the main applet thread is being
created but some how doesn't wake up the thread group abstraction (also a
thread used for applet thread management) that's suppose to block on it
until the applet context gets properly created. I've been relooking at the
first pass of the native threading code #ifdef block choices to make sure
that wait-queue notifications, joining, etc... are done correctly. It
could also be some kind of Sun/AWT glue layer problem (+ security layer ?),
but I won't know until I do some investigation. We'll see.

Last weekend I was trying to get my half corrupted FreeBSD -current
installation back running again but replaced a new version of -stable.
The intention here was to work with Greg on native threading and X
related problems (taking a break from my own BSD/OS port), but machine
maintenance ended up sucking the entire weekend, so I didn't get a
chance to work on anything. :-\ Oh, well.

I'm going to investigation why the applet threading crap is blowing it
tonight for a little while, but trying to get my brain to context switch
into threading + Swing/Sun crap is a bit difficult after getting a bit
overloaded with gdb internals. Fortunately that got fixed by another
super senior engineer in our group and I don't have to deal with that
any more.

;-)

bill