Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 1997 09:20:17 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        lile@stdio.com (Larry Lile)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tropic token ring driver

> Thanks for the help J"org.
>
> Now, does anyone have a Token-ring network architechture reference
> (IBM Part # SC30-3374-02) to donate (or loan) to the cause?  My
> friend is trying to find his old copy, but that could take a while.
> If not I guess I can just cough up the 76.50 for it myself, and it
> only took about 5 days to get the card ref from IBM so this shouldn't
> take much longer.

I have one on my desk, but it belongs to the company, so I can't
send it to you.  8-(.

> I remember someone talking about the arp code for a fddi card being
> similar, but I cant seem to locate that again.  So if you're still
> out there drop me a line.

You basically need an 802.3 LLC layer implementation.  The FDDI code
mostly implements this, and the X.25 code which we threw away (because
we made some gratuitous changes and didn't change all the dependent
code) also implements parts of the necessary state machine.  If you
could do it generically, you will be able to support NetBEUI (the
reason the thing is sitting on my desk is from a company project to
provide a NetBEUI for Linux -- as a binary kernel module; sorry, no
BSD binary distribution available).

The original posting claiming "mostly compatible" was from the FDDI
driver autor, so you should be able to get the information scanning
the archives for "FDDI" AND "driver", or from the code.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---