Date:      Wed, 21 Sep 2016 16:12:55 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Trond_Endrest=F8l?= <Trond.Endrestol@fagskolen.gjovik.no>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as VBox guest: vboxvideo allows only resolution of 800x600

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 15:54+0200, O. Hartmann wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 15:10:10 +0200 (CEST)
> Trond Endrestøl <Trond.Endrestol@fagskolen.gjovik.no> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 14:23+0200, O. Hartmann wrote:
> >
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > First, please CC me, I do not subscribe this list.
> > >
> > > I run VirtualBox (lastes 5.1.X as of ports) on FreeBSD CURRENT and within
> > > this host, I try to run a FreeBSD/NanoBSD appliance. So far, so good. The
> > > guest works well so far, it has port emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions
> > > installed and has
> > >
> > > vboxguest_enable="YES"
> > > vboxservice_enable="YES"
> > >
> > > enabled in rc.conf.local.
> > >
> > > X11 is also up and running and its SCREEN definition is as follows:
> > >
> > > Section "Screen"
> > >         Identifier "Screen0"
> > >         Device     "Card-vboxvideo"
> > >         Monitor    "Monitor0"
> > >
> > >         SubSection "Display"
> > >                 Viewport        0 0
> > >                 #Depth          24
> > >                 Depth           16
> > >                 #Modes          "1024x768 1366x768 1440x900 1600x900
> > > 1920x1200" Modes           "1440x900"
> > >         EndSubSection
> > >
> > > EndSection
> > >
> > > The Guest OS has always a screensize size of 800x600 pixel. The UEFI initial
> > > console shows efifb with 1024x768 pixel, but whenever the graphics starts,
> > > it is reduced to 800x600.
> > >
> > > The driver is configured as
> > >
> > >  Section "Device"
> > >         Identifier  "Card-vboxvideo"
> > >         Driver      "vboxvideo"
> > > EndSection
> > >
> > > In the lower menu bar, I could, theoretically, switch resolution with menu
> > > item "Virtual screen 1" to a bunch of settings - but only 800x600 is
> > > checked and is selected - nothing else works. I can't select any other
> > > resolution!
> > >
> > > What is missing here? Something within the driver definition?
> > >
> > > I have other guests in the very same VBox, like Windows 7 and I can change
> > > their resolution up to 1920x1080 (I have a screen that is cabapble of
> > > 1920x1200).
> > >
> > > Thank you very much in advance,
> > >
> > > Oliver
> >
> > Have a look at my config file:
> >
> > http://ximalas.info/~trond/create-zfs/canmount/xorg.conf
> >

> Tried, but it doesn't work. The FreeBSD guest window is always stuck with
> 800x600 pixels :-(

Oh, I ignored the fact you're using UEFI in VBox.
Until a proper KMS driver exists you and I are out of luck.
I always use BIOS firmware for my VBox guests using X11. :-(

All my UEFI VMs run as console-only. Running them in fullscreen at
1280x1024 gives me some comfort.

--
| Vennlig hilsen,               | Best regards,                      |