Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 20:07:27 +0200 (CEST)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM ATA Deskstars *without* tagged queueing?

Bruce M Simpson wrote:

> I bought a Deskstar 120GXP that *doesn't* appear to do tagged queueing. I
> was wondering if anyone else had encountered such a thing. It's somewhat
> annoying; generally I buy IBM drives for precisely the reason that they're
> meant to support tagging.

Exactly the same thing happened here with a IC35L020AVER07-0; it did not
do tagging and i bought it (and many other IBM drives) because of that.

I spend some time verifying that it really was the drive that did not do
tagging (rests: http://people.freebsd.org/~hm/misc/atacontrol.c) and when
i was shure i called IBM technical support.

This was one of the best support i ever got: the guy on the other side
understood what i meant, he called back without me remebering him to call
back, i got feedback, test software, and so on ...

It turned out that the drive i bought had DELL firmware in it [ :-)))) ]
so they sent me an updated DELL firmware, but that did not enable tagged
support. I asked for a cross update program to get IBM firmware; they
had none. They wrote one :-), i got it and now my drive does tagged
command queueing.

And all this for a dirt cheap drive ...

hellmuth (Cc trimmed down to -hackers)
--
Hellmuth Michaelis        Hamburg, Europe        hm@kts.org        www.kts.org
      There is a difference between an open mind and a hole in the head.