Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 2021 13:03:42 -0400
From:      Lannar Dean <ldd@rgnets.com>
To:        ruby@freebsd.org
Subject:   request to update rubygems package

--0000000000004dfd9a05cf4476fa

Hello,
I was wondering if there is a reason that the latest version of ruby-gems
(i'm using ruby27-gems) appears to be somewhat outdated on the latest
quarterly branch.  I was noticing a deprecation warning when running bundle
install, and discussed with the rubygems maintainers here:
https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems/issues/4283

Their response was

> I guess this is fixed by new rubygems (you're using 3.0.8 which is quite
> old). The strange thing is that ruby 2.7 should ship with rubygems 3.1.x,
> but for some reason ruby on freebsd seems to be shipping an older
rubygems.
> This explains why only freebsd users have reported this problem.
>
> Can you reach out to freebsd packagers and ask for a rubygems upgrade and
> ideally also a clarification on why they are shipping a rubygems version
> older than the one that comes with upstream ruby?

Could you let me know if/when an updated rubygems package is slated to make
its way to the freebsd repo?

Thanks in advance!

--
**