Date:      Fri, 06 Jul 2001 17:08:26 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>, "Rahul Siddharthan" <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Plagiarism (Was: FreeBSD spokesman)

At 03:21 PM 7/6/2001, David Schwartz wrote:

>        Well, I've asked six people so far. Three nos.

Which shows only that they are ignorant of what plagiarism is, not that
they'd answer "yes" if they knew.

>One "no, unless the
>arguments he's citing are particularly innovative or were told to him
>privately without permission to replicate."

Which shows that this person is confusing plagiarism with copyright
infringement. (I suspect that the others might have as well, perhaps
considering the quotations to be "fair use.")

>One gave a confused position
>that I still don't understand (sort of that one might be justified in
>failing to attribute when one is disagreeing with someone whose full view
>one is not elaborating but that it might be plagiarism even though it's
>justifiable, I think).

Yes, that's confusing.

>One said, "You cannot send messages longer than 450
>characters to a user who is offline", which I think means he doesn't think
>it's plagiarism.

Maybe his ISP is trying to PREVENT plagiarism. ;-)

In any event, since all of the people you did ask appear not to know the
definition of plagiarism, perhaps you should show them an authoritative
definition before asking them to render an opinion. If they don't know
what the word means, it hardly pays to ask them.

--Brett