Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 23:22:33 -0500
From:      Matt Penna <mdp1261@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VMWare Workstation

Dear folks,

About a week ago I posted a request for suggestions as to how I might
reconcile the licensing procedure for VMWare Workstation 3.0, which
requires a serial number, with the fact that the FreeBSD port of version
2.0 uses license files instead of serial numbers.

A few people wrote to me privately with some suggestions (Thank you!) that
got my brain working, so just for the benefit of those who might run into
this problem before VMWare Workstation 3.0 is ported to FreeBSD, here's how
I solved the problem.

I hunted around on-line for stores that might still have 2.0 for Linux
available for sale. As I'm eligible for an academic disount, I eventually
purchased it from Creation Engine at www.creationengine.com.
(www.journeyed.com also still lists it on their web site.)

The VMWare manual stated the license file is located right on the CD, but
that doesn't seem to be correct any longer; the license file is generated
automatically once you enter your serial number. This meant I had to
install VMWare to get the license file, so I quickly put Red Hat Linux 6.2
on another machine and installed VMWare. After it generated the license
file, I copied it to a floppy and then copied it to my FreeBSD system. It
ran perfectly the first time and didn't require any further changes.

VMWare now runs very well under FreeBSD, and it's running legally. So,
that's that!

         Matt

--
Matt Penna                                      mdp1261@rit.edu
ICQ: 399825                                     S0ba on AOLIM