Date:      Sat, 28 Feb 1998 14:07:50 -0500
From:      williamj@cs.purdue.edu
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel scheduler issues

On Sun, Feb 22, 1998 at 07:29:11PM -0800, Scott Michel wrote:
> Has there been/Is there any discussion about changing the kernel
> scheduler to support audio (generally multimedia) needs, where
> you'd like to temporarily increase a process's priority close to
> the end of a audio block playout to decrease the jumps/gaps?

I've just started a project implementing the Adaptive Rate-Controlled
Scheduling Algorithm for Multimedia Applications put forth in a paper
by David Yau and Simon Lam in the IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking,
vol.4, no.4, August 1997.  If you email me personally I can provide
you with the postscript source and then maybe we can get a discussion
going.  This has already been implemented in Solaris 2.3 and I'll be
trying to implement it for FreeBSD 2.2.5.  I dont expect my work to
actually be used anywhere, its just a learning experience for me since
this is my first venture into FreeBSD kernel programming.

--
Josh Williams -- Computer Science & Mathematics -- Purdue University
                     williamj@cs.purdue.edu