Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2001 11:49:16 -0600
From:      Matt Schlosser <mschlosser@eschelon.com>
To:        'Francisco Reyes' <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Fire-wire/fiber/SCSI?

>>This will be transferring large files. Some ranging in the GB range for a
>>single file.

>How do the files get to the main machine?
>will most of the work be writting or reading off this box?

The read/write will be done through a sort of modified sftp connection that
is in the early stages of development.  The read/write load should be fairly
evenly balanced, maybe a slight more read than write, and there will be a
fair amount of server-side file analysys.

>>He (we) are trying to figure out if using a Netapp connected via:
>>	A) SCSI to single box is better
>>	B) Firewire connected to a single box or multiple will work
>>	C) Gigabit Eithernet to multiple boxes or single

>I don't see what a Netapp would do for you.

lots-o-storage (need multi-terrabyte), fast access.

>How about getting an external SCSI160 enclosure with Cheeta's
>X15 HDs on a switched Gigabit network.
>The only problem with the X15's is that they are only 18G which
>can be a problem in terms of how many you may need. They are,
>however, the fastest drives on the block at 15,000RPM.

We actually tossed that around, but at only 18G we would need a LOT of them
(especially with mirroring) and that cost brings us right up to NetApp cost
plus with that many, some are guaranteed to fail often.

>A good configuration for the drives would be Raid 0+1, but that
>is expensive. If mostly apps will be reading of the drive then
>Raid 5 may do the trick.

>Why don't you write to David Greenman(?), FreeBSD's main
>architect. He builds high performance boxes. I think the URL for
>his company is http://www.terrasolutions.com
>He ought to be able to configure a good setup and may even be
>able to configure the kernel for you so it  screams. :-)

>If redundancy is a high priority you can get an external box
>with dual channel. FreeBSD will not be able to have two machines
>connected to it at the same time, but at the touch of a button
>you can switch to a second machine also attached to the external
>box.

Yes, redundancy will be a big priority.  One of our main concerns is that
this system must not go down, and especially must not lose any data, not
even a little.  I wonder if I can configure a machine to monitor the server
and perform the switch automatically....  hmmm.... more projects to
consider....

>Good luck.

Thanks for the assistance.