Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:15:47 -0700
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Threads in Java on a variety of platforms

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 11:53:37AM -0700, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> I'm wondering whether it's worth the FreeBSD porter's time to advocate
> that the core Java JVM could adopt the threading API in Apache's APR
> library (see http://apr.apache.org/)  It acts as an abstraction layer over
> native thread implementations, as well as pthreads, IIRC.  I'm not a
> developer on that project so I don't have the technical details.  It may
> provide portability for a number of other functions as well.  And the
> licensing is standard Apache license, so it can be integrated into the
> non-open-source JVM without a problem.
>
> 	Brian

The JVM itself has a pretty well testing thread abstraction system and porting
to another threading system would be more work than neccessary. All the
pthreads stuff is already in the source tree already and it's just a matter
of #ifdefing the right blocks into place. ;-)

The JVM also has some pretty exotic needs, synchronization primitives, etc...
and it's unlikely that a generic portable threading system would supply what
the JVM needs without severe hacking/mangling.

I'll look at the link though.

;-)

bill