Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 19:01:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org (J McKitrick)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: assembly vs C

> I've heard some debates recently, mostly by 'old-school' hackers from the
> C64 days who are calling for a return to machine language.  They claim that
> CPU speed, memory size, and HD space will begin to plateau soon, and that ML
> would bring a much needed return to efficiency and clean coding.

Actually doing all coding in assembly would be a bad idea.

Forcing all programmers to learn assembly so that their compiler
is not just a "black box" would undoubtedly increase code quality.

I kind of doubt that the VM system could be totally written in C;
for a full understanding of software, including FreeBSD, there is
also almost an assembly language learning requirement.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.